Long description - Keep the kids in your life cyber safe: a checklist
From schoolwork, to socializing, to gaming, kids are spending more time online than ever. Here’s a checklist you can go through with the kids in your life to make sure they’re being safe during their time online. For more cyber security fun, play Get Cyber Safe Agency together to solidify these concepts.
- Make a list of all the devices your kids use that connect to the internet.
- Make a list of all the accounts your kids are using. This includes accounts like social media or gaming, as well as family accounts they might use like streaming services.
- Create unique passphrases for each account. Help your family use a password manager to secure the passphrases, but make sure the password manager is protected by your strongest passphrase.
- Turn on parental controls for any shared accounts that your kids are accessing. This will make sure that they aren’t watching content or using features you don’t want them to.
- Enable multi-factor authentication (MFA) whenever it’s available. When your child signs into one of their accounts, they will be asked for another authenticator like a fingerprint or SMS code. This added layer of security will help keep their accounts secured.
- Ask your kids what websites they visit often. See if any popular threats are associated with those websites and warn your kids what to watch out for. Some threats, like phishing, happen all over the internet.
- Set a good example when using your own devices. You never know when they might be watching and what habits they might pick up (like running regular software updates).
- Go through the kids cyber security checklist with your kids. Let them take the lead when it comes to getting your whole family cyber safe. They may even be able to teach you a thing or two!
When it comes to helping kids get cyber safe, it’s important to share information with them about cyber security. Make sure the kids in your life know that you’re here to help and let them know they can always ask you if they see anything online they don’t understand.
Catalogue number: D96-82/2022E-PDF | ISBN: 978-0-660-42166-7